I have some class books (most recent is 2015, oldest is 2014) from SANS Institute courses that a cyber security mentor left behind when he changed jobs— he didn’t want the, and said they were mine if I was interested in cyber security.
I am interested, but (1) they are mostly slide recaps, (2) they are 6-7 years old and iT/security stuff changes fast, and (3) I don’t even have my CompTIA Sec+ or GIAC GSEC so they don’t make sense when I read through them.
Should I trash these old SANS Institute course books? Or should I hold onto them? Courses are listed by year:
• SEC542—Web app penetration testing and ethical hacking
• FOR508—Advanced computer forensic analysis and incident response
• SEC502— perimeter protection in-depth
• SEC503— intrusion detection in-depth
• SEC505— securing windows with the critical security controls
• SEC506— securing Linux/UNIX