I am in the market for a CS job. I have 8 years experience as Infrastructure. For those without experience this means Sys admin, Sys Engineer, Network admin, etc. A recruiter hit me up about a position, they wanted someone that was a recent but also wants someone with 4 years experience for an entry level CS job.
So when you ask if your degree is enough, or if a boot camp is good, the short answer is no. I’m not trying to be a dick when I tell you to get experience. Its what employers are looking for. They asked how much PowerShell do I know. Have I created, not just modified (they really want someone who has created) PowerShell scripts to query Active Directory. Every time I talk to a recruiter about CS jobs, they always ask, how much scripting do I know. How long have I been administrating AD, how long I have been administrating/engineering O365. There are some jobs you dont need to know this stuff, but once again, this is your competition.
Here is the job description:
**Job Title:** Information Security Administrator
The IT security administrator will be responsible for day to day activities surrounding general user id administration and access control/resource authorization requests across multiple environments/systems. The successful candidate will also have an opportunity to further advance and broaden skill sets/ information security & technology acumen by being part of a diversified team working with highly skilled professionals.
* Administer information security for Windows Server domain using Active Directory.
* Administer information security for Enterprise Applications such as Exchange, and RSA SecurID tokens, etc.
* Administer information security for Business mission critical internal applications.
* Run data maintenance reports and fix identified discrepancies.
* Assist with periodic internal and external IT Audits.
* Ensure adherence to all Security Administration Standard Operating Procedures.
* Coordinate user training for both employees and contractors.
* Improve provisioning and reporting automation with scripts.
**What you’ll Bring:**
* Minimum four (4) years technical work experience (e.g. networking, Windows system administration, security administration, Help Desk Tier 1 and/or 2, etc.).
* Experience working with LDAP/Microsoft Windows Active Directory.
* Excellent customer service & communication skills
* Experience in writing procedures/instruction/standards
* Experience in PowerShell or Python
* Experience in SQL Query Language
* Experience in Group Policy administration
**We’d Love to See**
* Technical certification desired (Security+, Network+, MCSE)
* Practical experience with automating system administration tasks.